And so for this week's edition of Foodie Goodie, I'll be featuring - yep, you guessed it right - this carrot cupcake recipe which is a fusion (or should I say my tweaking) of the recipes I learned from both Martha Stewart and the Food Network. Enjoy! :)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of ground nutmeg
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots, peeled)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/4 cup shredded coconut, for garnishing
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
2. Sift together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a large stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the brown sugar, oil and eggs until well combined.
4. Add the carrots and vanilla.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
6. Stir in 1/4 cup of the chopped walnuts.
7. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth and creamy.
9. Frost the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with the shredded coconut.
Shared with Food Friday and Food Trip Friday.