French Toast with a Twist
1 loaf of bread (if you can find cinnamon-swirled ones, that would be great)
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 ounces of cream cheese, cubed
1 1/2 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
pinch of nutmeg
1. In a medium saucepan, melt together butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and cinnamon.
2. Cook until sugar is dissolved.
3.Pour in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
4. Remove bread crusts and cut into large cubes. Place bread on top of brown sugar mixture in the pan. Top with cubes of cream cheese.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg.
6. Pour the mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
7. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruits or bacon and eggs.
Happy weekend cooking, everyone!
As seen on Spoonful. Shared with Food Friday and Food Trip Friday.